Depression or major depressive disorder is one of the most common but serious medical illness which is known to affect the way a person feels thinks and acts. Most of the people think after going through any online depression test that there is no depression treatment, but here let me tell you that this disorder is treatable.
Depression makes a person feel sad and (or) loss of interest in whatever that he or she might be doing. This is also the case if the person really likes doing the activity or job. Depression makes a person give up on life in general. Random things like having a meal or going to the toilet may seem to be a lot for the person. It also leads to multiple emotional and physical issues like the decrease in a person’s ability to regular household chores or things that do not even require a person to do much.
What Are Depression Symptoms
- A constantly sad mood
- Loss of interest in activities once loved by the individual
- Gaining or losing weight
- Not being able to sleep or sleeping a lot
- Being lazy and not being able to work properly
- Increase in meaningless activities like shaking of hands
- Inability to speak properly
- The feeling of being worthless or feeling guilty
- Having a problem in concentrating on something
- The inability to make a decision
- Being suicidal
These symptoms may be just a random thought at any time. For being diagnosed with depression, these symptoms need to be present for more than two weeks. Some other medical reasons make a person feel all these things so it is important to have all these ruled out for a person to actually end up being treated for depression.
- There may be some kind of chemicals in the brain of the person which start to act in a certain way.
- Depression can be genetic. If there is history in a personal family to be depressed, he or she may go through this phase in their life.
- People who are easily stressed out or those who have lower self-esteem are more likely to be depressed.
- Issues like violence, being neglected or being abused constantly makes a person a lot more vulnerable as compared to someone who does not go through so much.
Depression is one of the most easily treatable mental disorders. There is almost an 80 to 90 per cent chance that the person dealing with such issue will respond well to the treatment given to him or her by the doctors. If it is not treated on a whole, the patients may be able to get some relief from the symptoms that they are having.
Before starting the treatment of depression itself, it is important for the doctors to find out if their patient is suffering from any physical issue like a thyroid problem and proceeding to treat depression only if this was the case. If nothing comes up in the blood tests, then the doctors may proceed to treat depression.